This module is intended to familiarize the student with the most important aspects of the PLC's central processing unit. Topics covered in the module include memory devices and memory storage, as well as an introduction to data storage and processing. In addition to covering memory utilization and memory mapping, the module also provides detailed information on multiprocessing and PLC scan functions.
- Define the term CPU.
- Explain the purpose of the executive program.
- Understand the application of buses in a CPU.
- List two types of CPU diagnostics.
- Differentiate between fatal and non-fatal errors.
- Explain the advantage of multiprocessing.
- Describe the two general classes of memory devices.
- Name four types of memory.
- Define memory protect.
- Explain the purpose of memory utilization and how it applies to PLC systems.
- Describe the scan function.