This module provides an introduction to ladder logic programming techniques using laboratory simulation software. The lab component of the module provides the student with an opportunity to write ladder logic programs and test their operation through PLC simulation. Topics covered in the module include I/O instructions, safety circuitry, programming restrictions, and I/O addressing.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Define ladder logic.
- Explain the purpose of I/O addresses.
- Describe the function of softwiring, branches, and rungs.
- Write a ladder logic program.
- Run a ladder logic program using lab simulator.
- Define the terms examine on and examine off.
- Explain the purpose of a latching relay instruction.
- Differentiate between an internal output and an actual I/O output.
- Describe the operation controller scan.
- Name two programming restrictions.
- Define nesting.
- Explain why safety circuitry is important in ladder logic systems.
- List three types of I/O addressing.