This module provides students with an introduction to the principles of Studio 5000/Logix 5000 data handling, including bits, words, and arrays. Using PLCLogix 5000 simulation, various aspects of data transfer will be demonstrated and students will program and observe transfer instructions such as MOV, FIFO and LIFO. An introduction to shift registers is also presented with an emphasis on practical applications in industrial control circuits.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Name the three main data handling functions.
- Differentiate between words and arrays.
- Convert data from one form to another.
- Explain the purpose of a move instruction.
- Write a ladder logic program using an MOV instruction.
- Describe the purpose of an array to array move.
- Name two types of shift registers.
- Differentiate between FIFO and LIFO instructions.
- Transfer data between memory locations.